Sunday, June 14, 2015

Step Aside, Haters!

Are you here at Sifu's recommendation to read about the retreat?  If so, redirect here to What Are Your Rocks, Part 1


My family just finished watching Selma.

We're all reeling in our own ways.  I cried out, cried in, cried joy and cried sadness.  The story is told very well, so I won't downgrade the tale by retelling it inferiorly.  Please see the film.

Several times while watching, I was taken back to the dedication of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's memorial in Washington, DC.  I can't believe we were all there...

As our feet pound the pavement of our nation's capitol, the crowd thickens.  We are approaching the site where the dedication of MLK's National Memorial is in process.  I kick myself for not getting an earlier start.  We will probably miss President Obama's speech.
 I know we are getting closer because the street vendors are getting more dense.  Wanting to have some memorabilia from this historic day, I am tempted to stop, but the urgency of our tardiness has me pressing on.
We cross the street that is lined with news vans and cross through the gate into the general admission area.  Indeed, we have missed hearing the President's speech, but are just in time to witness the replaying of Dr King's "I Have a Dream" speech on the jumbotron!
We quickly find a spot where we have a fairly clean line of sight and settle in to experience the moment.  To my left and to my right, behind me and in front of me, are black Americans of all ages and I wonder what their connections are to Dr. King and the Civil Rights movement.  I glance at the boys--they are completely riveted by the speech, grasping at just 11 years old the poignancy of the moment.  I am so proud of the incredible citizens they are becoming and hope this event gives them more strength of character.
The speech ends and the entertainment begins.  The crowd slowly thins and we are left with more space to roam and sing and dance.  This is where the true celebration begins! A government worker shares some leftover loot from the VIP seats and we help ourselves to special embroidered white baseball caps commemorating the day.  Donning our caps, we join in on the festivities with a light heart.  
Stevie Wonder takes the stage.  I've always been a fan, but seeing him this day perform live, leading all the musicians on the stage (Cheryl Crow, James Taylor, and more) in a jam session gives me even more respect for him musically.  His soul is clearly soaring as he speaks of the personal significance of this day to him.  I didn't realize he had a big hand in the memorial being erected.  
"Little Stevie" begins a rendition of "Peace Train." Slowly but surely, the crowd forms its own Peace Train as we grasp the waist of the person in front of us and weave our way through the dwindling audience.  Hundreds of us have linked together, including my boys and myself.  At one point I notice we are among the very few white people present, and I smile because the boys probably haven't even noticed.  I think of all the times I was exposed to racism as a child in my community, and think the boys' tally would be zero.  My heart is open and I continue to dance.  Many are singing, "Oh, I've been smiling lately, Dreaming about the world as one, And I believe it could be, Some day it's going to come!"  For many of us, that moment is right here, right now.

This perfect memory is held even more precious in my heart now after seeing some of the imagery from Selma.  The final scene sticks with me the most, because it is so triumphant.  The righteous, the just, the strong are marching through a crowd of haters.  Step aside, haters, and make way for the new American standard!  Together, their light out shined the jeers, the smears, and the violence.  For certainly the violence did not stop, but its hey day was over.

Tonight my husband started to say, "That movie made me think again how dark our human nature..." and I cut him off.

"No, no no!!!" I cry, "Our nature isn't dark!"

"OK, how dull our light can be..."

"No!!!" I plea again, "Just because clouds pass over our heads doesn't mean that the sun is shining any less brightly!"
We discuss how negative group think begins, and I suggest it all starts in small circles.  A group of friends, or within a family.  Hate speak is an insatiable monster which will grow uncontrollably until people are convinced that it's right because so many other people support it.  We probably have all heard the Burke quote, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."  Perhaps it's over quoted, but it is NOT over implemented!

I heard a person honestly ask recently what they can do to become a better person.  Simply standing up for what is right and good is a very powerful act one can take to make a huge difference in the world.  It is sometimes lonely work, but only on the surface.  Think of the many faces you are standing up for, and they will dispel any loneliness you may feel and give you additional support as well!


I'd like to end with a request.  Watch the video to this song from the Selma movie.  It is so moving and wonderful.  I bet your cares and worries will be alleviated from this inspiring work of art!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Some users are having trouble with posts disappearing if they are not signed in prior to entering their comment. You may want to highlight and copy your entry before choosing a signature. Choosing "Anonymous" may be another way to avoid trouble. Thanks for commenting!