Friday, June 4, 2010

Yup, It's a Metaphor

Lisa, you're RIGHT. I do need to make this a metaphorical barefoot journey. Thanks for that suggestion, which took me months to ponder...

For a while I thought I would have a bunch of different blogs, each one carrying through a particular theme, but I've come to the realization that I pretty much blog for me and me alone anyway, and also so many of my life's themes overlap, that this "barefoot journey" would be such an incomplete picture of me and who I am without all the random thoughts.

You know what the crazy part is? I'm beginning to believe that the thoughts aren't so random. In fact, I believe that the "barefoot journey" title absolutely sums it up. If anything, I live my life barefoot. Naked. I'm tactile-y trudging down my path, feeling every stone, every branch, and sometimes picking bugs off the bottoms of my feet. (Yes, I actually did this the other day...my foot was on a table and my husband said, "Is that a spider stuck to the bottom of your foot???" Hence, the heebie-jeebies began as I made wimpy, flicking motions to remove the big, black, hairy corpse as strange sounds came out of my mouth resembling a ghost trying to fight off an impending sneeze).

Yes, a barefoot journey perfectly describes my life. I speak openly--both to my benefit and demise. I wear my heart on my sleeve. At times my search for knowledge, enlightenment, and idealism reminds me of a bohemian wanderer. And, in a more shallowly, or perhaps literal, way, I hate to accessorize.

Barefoot I am.

Tonight, my barefeet are walking on hot coals. The coals represent the great amount of trouble I can get myself into...if I don't tread lightly, I will be severly burned.

My mother-in-law (henceforth referred to as my "MIL") is gravely ill, and I find myself in this strange position of having strong opinions and no one really caring what my opinion is. I keep justifying sticking my nose in by rationalizing that my husband agrees with me wholeheartedly, but he's afraid to stick up for his own ideas against his siblings. He's got a case of the-left-out-sibling because he's very much younger than the closest sibling, being a twilight surprise for his parents. It's as if they raised the other four children, then raised Greg. There are the "family photos" of the other kids growing up, going camping, taking vacations...and none contain him. This has made him feel quite lonely where family dynamics are concerned, so this is where I come in, knowing how he feels about a subject, and flapping my trap to be his voice, and getting myself frustrated and probably alienated.

Hot coals. Will I tread lightly over them and end up unscathed, or will I stomp my barefeet too heavily and end up in the same place, but scarred (alienated) forever after???


5 comments:

  1. You know what Julie? I once walked on a fire pit once about 5 years ago.. they were very hot coals and yes my foot was, as they say, 'kissed by the fire' that I had chosen to walk upon. Yet, it was not the act of fear that placed my feet on the fire, It was the act of COURAGE that placed me there to overcome any fear placed before me by myself. In order to successfully attempt a 'fire walk' it must begin with the state of mind that it can be done and that nothing can stand in your way. All in all, I am beginning to wonder if this isn't his 'fire walk' to walk???

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great comment, April! Thanks for that! I'm going to think that over...I also wonder if I may be pushing him onto the coals with me, instead of seeing if he's ready and willing to take his own steps...which I don't think he is, in which case I suppose I shouldn't shove him. Maybe he can put some boots on. ;) LOL! j/k...thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SIster-Friend,

    We may not be from the same family, but we are cut from the same cloth. This is my favorite quote right now, "If anything, I live my life barefoot. Naked. I'm tactile-y trudging down my path, feeling every stone, every branch, and sometimes picking bugs off the bottom of my feet." That SO explains my life, as well!

    Keep being you. You are PERFECTLY imperfect! We should all honor that in ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love ya, Guatemama-Val! LOL...I feel better already. Writing is so therapeutic for me, and it is such an INCREDIBLE gift that I can write from my heart and get such wise insight from my dear friends!!!! Thanks for highlighting that excerpt...i do so love the "picking bugs" part, lol...it's great metaphoically, and hilarious too, since it really did happen. I love when metaphor manifests! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so welcome, Jules :-) A parallel universe awaits those with the eyes and heart to see and feel it before them.. You are on a roll dear.. Keep on keeping on!!

    ReplyDelete

Some users are having trouble with posts disappearing if they are not signed in prior to entering their comment. You may want to highlight and copy your entry before choosing a signature. Choosing "Anonymous" may be another way to avoid trouble. Thanks for commenting!