Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Operation FEAT (Family Effort to Achieve Tidiness): Week 2

Push in that chair!
Feeling a little under-the-weather today, so this week's good habit will be nice and simple, requiring not a lot of effort on my part:  pushing in chairs!

Everytime I walk through my integrated dining area, I make a decision--to ignore the chairs strewn about or push them in.  I try to remind the boys (which includes Greg) to push them in when they're finished, but it doesn't sink in.  Truth be told, I often forget, myself, especially when my hands are full of dishes!  Yet this simple habit will make a big difference in how orderly that area of the house looks.

I expect to collect lots of funds this week...although it may be hard to figure out who left the chairs out, so I think I'll have to assign seats until we get used to it!  Perhaps I'll make a simple sign for the center of the table as a reminder.

This rule will also extend to everywhere in the house, and will be ON TOP OF last week's rule.

I think last week (no clothes on the floor, anywhere!) was quite a success.  Here are some notes from the week:

Sunday:  So far, so good.  Everyone's on board with the concept.  We have all day to get all the clothes picked up off the floor, and starting tomorrow morning (and for the rest of the year!), there will be a 5-cent fine for each item found there!

Monday:  Although happy they're not on the floor, socks do not belong on the coffee table, either!  Laundry baskets are rivaling the Tower of Babel.  Much work to do in laundry room!

Tuesday:  Wet towels on floor!  Towels now count as clothes.  ;)  First fine doled out today to Evan--who took his socks of while doing yoga so he wouldn't slide, and left them there!  Ten cents!  Cha-ching!

Wednesday:  Andrew left a sweatshirt by the fire in the living room!  I should have mercy, since he's sick, but I'm not!

Thursday:  Andrew again...still sick, and I'm still showing no mercy--this time, he left pj pants and undies on the floor in the bathroom RIGHT NEXT TO the laundry basket.  Ten more cents!  Andrew laughs and says I'm going to bankrupt him.

Friday:  I'm quite sick today, and these overflowing laundry baskets are going to be a problem if I don't catch up soon!!!

Stay tuned for the Week 3 update!  We'll see how well we manage remembering the old rule on top of the new!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some users are having trouble with posts disappearing if they are not signed in prior to entering their comment. You may want to highlight and copy your entry before choosing a signature. Choosing "Anonymous" may be another way to avoid trouble. Thanks for commenting!